Consumer 360, a recent event in Frankfurt Germany, took a serious look at consumer behaviour in the wired and wireless world.
Prominent at the industry conference was the subject of marketing via mobile phone.
- 5.2 billion people are mobile subscribers – 77 percent the world’s population.
- Users interact with their phones 150 times per day on average.
- In the U.S. nearly 80 percent of consumers use a smartphone to help with their shopping.
- More than 250 million users access Facebook through mobile devices – they are twice as active as non-mobile users.
- In 2012, sales of smartphones will overtake sales of PCs.
- By 2013, more people will access the Internet via their mobile than by PC.
- By 2015, mobile broadband could be up to four times faster than fixed-line broadband in many countries.
Mobile is a major part of our lives and, as the attendees heard, proximity is important with consumers responding enthusiastically to location-based mobile alerts.
Ingredients for a successful mobile marketing strategy:
- Be engaging.
- Create two-way dialogue.
- Connect through advocacy programs.
- Think long-term.