OK, forgive the obvious reference to Hamlet 3.1, moving on. I sit in meetings where the issue of whether a portal needs a blog, and yes, I am talking about property portals here (you know who you are). Let me tell you what I say in those meeting.
“Each blog entry you add to your site is an opportunity to get a new page indexed by Google, have it ranked for a new keyword, and generate traffic to your site.”
Now here is how to Blog:
- Use long-tale keywords
- Write blogs that are around 300 words, remember you’re not writing War and Peace.
- Write about topics that are interesting to your readers.
- Write posts people will want to link to or talk about.
- Don’t be self-promotional.
- Think like a teacher. A good approach to building useful content is to aim to teach your customers something. You know more about your portal than anyone; what can you teach your customers?
- Use images, remember what they say about a picture being worth 1000 words
- Use Tags, they are your friend.
Are there software apps out there that help with Blogs/social media? Yes, there are and some of them are very good. But the first thing you need to do, is to commit to blogging.
How often should you blog? I say no less than once a day.
Why so much? That is the wrong question, you should be asking “why so little?” It’s free indexing. Now get out there and blog people.