Whilst many marketplaces are experiencing tough times, the post pandemic world is not far off and with it come opportunities for growth.
In the latest episode of the Online Marketplaces' Vodcast Series, Simon Baker chats with Malcolm Myers, Founder and CEO of European Internet Ventures. They discuss some of the opportunities available to the global online marketplaces industry with the key points being:
- Real estate can be bought and sold online, the same as any other goods, as long as there is guaranteed security around the transaction
- The need for human contact is declining for most transactions and will do so in real estate as well
- Marketplaces should modify their business models to capture the opportunities in a post pandemic world
- The expected wave of digitization is not necessarily a boon for tech enabled brokerages, such as PurpleBricks, as they are still fundamentally affected by traffic and liquidity issues
- There is the opportunity for Zoopla and PurpleBricks to merge creating the digital agency of the future
- There is the opportunity for portals to have their own in-house agency offering alongside their customers
- "Curated long-term rentals" may well have a big future
- There is definitely scope for a strong portal brand to "own the market" and be an end-to-end solution for property in some markets.
Enjoy the vodcast and be sure to leave us your feedback.