Quintin Schevernels to Resign as funda CEO Amid Shareholder Tensions

September 15, 2021
Share this Post: 

Quintin Schevernels is to step down as CEO of leading Dutch real estate portal company funda after three years in the job.

A company statement released on Monday confirmed the departure and admitted that there is "a great deal of tension and ambiguity between the corporate interests of funda and the various interests of its shareholders", a reason cited by Schevernels himself in comments:

“I am leaving with pain in my heart. I leave behind a strong team and a wonderful company. However, the long-running discussions at the shareholder level slow down the execution of our strategy and prevent us from executing it the way I believe in.”

Founded in 2001, funda is the clear market leader in the Dutch real estate market with a healthy traffic and brand lead over its competitors. Schevernels has overseen the growth of this dominance since 2018 and a 50% growth in profit up to the start of 2021 according to local media.

Some 90% of the portal company is controlled by the NVM, the largest association of agents and appraisers in the country, with the remaining 10% held by private shareholders, many of whom put in the capital when the portal was founded and are now looking to cash out.

The controversy is said to stem from a disagreement between private shareholders who want to see either a large investor come in and take control of funda or for the company to go public and NVM which wants to maintain the status quo.

There has reportedly been interest from large investment firms over the years with General Atlantic valuing the portal at some €240 a few years ago according to local media site Quotenet. NVM though went on record last summer to say that it does not want funda in the hands of outside investors at the moment.

September 15, 2021
Edmund got to know the world of portals and marketplaces working at Mitula Group (which became Lifull Connect after the buyout in 2018). He worked directly with hundreds of portals across the world in his role in the content department for three and a half years before transferring to the SEO department to understand the inner workings of listings sites. He joined Online Marketplaces as Head of Content in March 2020.

Subscribe to our mailing list to get news updates!

Enter your email address and get updates from Online Marketplaces.

Related News

Short Term Rentlas Airbnb Oyo Jll
Short Term Rentals Roundup: Airbnb Appointment, OYO IPO and a New Rival

There have been a few important pieces of news coming from the world of short-term and vacation rentals this week....

Read More
Zillow Housing Data
Zillow in Legal Battle for Cheap Local Housing Data

American real estate giant Zillow is backing proposed legislation in Michigan which would significantly reduce the cost of procuring property...

Read More
Prosus Trying To Buy Cian
Prosus Owned Horizontal Avito Reportedly Close To Acquiring Leading Property Vertical Cian

According to reports in Russia, leading horizontal player Avito is trying to buy leading real estate marketplace company Cian.ru. According...

Read More
Adevinta Fintech With Marketplaces Report
The Future is Pairing Fintech with Marketplaces According to New Adevinta Report

The returns of fintech enabled marketplace businesses are far superior to those of marketplaces without fintech capabilities according to a...

Read More

Popular News